The Masters’ Program in Financial Economics aims to provide students a strong background in the fundamentals of Finance and its applications, in the context of the increasing reliance on mathematical modeling, quantitative methods and innovative financial instruments and technological platforms. Students can follow career paths related to managerial or research positions in the industry, or can go on to obtain their doctoral degree geared towards academic research.
Maximum Time to Complete the Master's in Financial Economics Program
The Master's with Thesis Program must be completed in a maximum of 6 terms, including 4 semesters of courses and 2 semesters for thesis.
The Master's with Non-Thesis Program must be completed in a maximum of 3 terms, including 3 semesters of courses.
Requirements for Completion of the Master's in Financial Economics Program
To complete the The Master's with Thesis Program, 7 courses, 1 seminar, and a master's thesis must be passed.
To complete the The Non-Thesis Master's Program, 10 courses and a graduation project must be passed.
Our vision is to contribute to the efficient and ethical operations of highly-complex and interrelated markets that depend on sophisticated financial instruments and mathematical modeling in a manner that promotes sustainable socioeconomic development alongside a focus on the risk-return metrics, in line with current and long-term needs.
We aim to provide our students a knowledge of the intricacies of financial engineering and econometrics so that they can participate in existing financial markets and help develop future trends, keeping in mind the current and long-term needs of the various stakeholders, and have a sufficient theoretical and empirical background to continue onto a doctoral degree in related fields.
Our graduates should be well prepared for any of the following career paths, based on their interest:
1. A managerial or research position in a related field, in any commercial or government organization
2. A research-oriented or academic career through further education
3. Entrepreneurship, including advising or consulting firms
Candidates create a new user at http://ebs.yeditepe.edu.tr/, access the online application form, fill out the form and make online applications to the Financial Economics Master's Program under Social Sciences Institute. Following applications, candidates are invited to an interview in September for the Fall semester, in January for the Spring semester and in June for the Summer semester. Successful candidates can start taking the department courses upon completion of their final registration provided that they meet the following conditions.
1. Having a bachelor's degree from a national or international university whose equivalence is accepted by the Turkish Council of Higher Education.
2. Having a minimum score of 55 from ALES in the program field for the Master's Program with Thesis. ALES exam results are valid for five years. ALES is not required in the Non-Thesis Master's Program (i.e., Master Program with Graduation Project). ALES is not required for foreign students.
3. Having a score of 55 from the YÖKDİL, YDS or E-YDS exams taken in the last five years for exemption from the English language exam, or 66 from the TOEFL IBT exam taken in the last two years. Applicants who are graduated from a Yeditepe University undergraduate program where the medium of instruction is English are exempt from the English proficiency exam. In addition, candidates who completed their undergraduate education in 100% English are also exempt from the English proficiency exam provided that they document that the medium of instruction was English in their undergraduate program. Candidates who do not have the above-mentioned language exam scores are required to enter the foreign language proficiency exams by our University and get a minimum of 50 points, and if they are not successful, they must continue the English Preparatory Program in order to start the program.
Documents Required for Final Registration
• Original and 2 Copies of Undergraduate / Graduate Diploma (Students who have completed their education abroad are additionally required to bring notarized Turkish translations of their documents.)
• Original and 2 Copies of Undergraduate / Graduate Transcript (Students who have completed their education abroad are required to bring notarized Turkish translations of their documents in addition.)
• ALES Result Document Output (ALES condition is not required in the Non-Thesis Master's Program). ALES is not required for foreign students.
• Language Exemption Certificate (YDS, YÖKDİL or TOEFL or Yeditepe Univ. English proficiency exam) (Those who fail the proficiency exam need to complete the English Preparatory Program)
• For Turkish Citizens with Foreign Diplomas: Equivalency Certificate from the Turkish Council of Higher Education
• Original Military Status Certificate. (Photocopy of the discharge certificate from those who have completed their military service.)
• Original and Photocopy of National Identity Card (Original and Photocopy of Passport and Residence Permit for Foreign Candidates)
• Certificate of Residence (e.g., E-Government Output)
• 4 Passport Photographs
Frequently Asked Matters by Students Related to Their Master's Program:
- The maximum period of successfully completing the credit courses required for the master's program is 4 semesters for the master's with thesis and 3 semesters for the master's with graduation project (a.k.a non-thesis master’s program). Students are obliged to successfully complete their credit courses within this period.
- Each student entering the program are provided with an OBS (student information system) userid and password, which are needed to access to the student system at obs.yeditepe.edu.tr, during the registration by the Institute. The OBS system also includes your student email and password. You should logon to your student email at webmail.yeditepe.edu.tr and activate it by clicking the activation link emailed to you. Please regularly check both your student email and your messages at OBS. OBS is used for advisor messages while OBS and/or the program website may be used for general announcements. You will use your student email and password to logon to the Yeditepe Moodle System used for courses. Some courses may use Google Classroom while others may use the Moodle system. Please contact the Program Research Assistants for any questions. Students are obliged to follow the course registration dates from the academic calendar every semester, register correctly for the courses they need to register on obs.yeditepe.edu.tr in a timely manner and fulfill the requirements for the courses they are registered for. Course registrations are subject to the approval of the academic advisor (and the Institute).
- Students, who successfully complete their credit courses, are obliged to successfully complete their thesis in a way that does not exceed the maximum time spent in the program (i.e., maximum time to complete the entire program is six semesters).
- Students of the Master's Program with Thesis, who will start their thesis work, have to submit an official thesis application (by filling out the relevant form with their thesis advisors) and enroll in the thesis course. Upon completion of their thesis, they also need to form a thesis defense jury. A Master's thesis defense jury consists of 3 people. At least one member other than the advisor must be a faculty member from another university. The other member may be from the student’s department, or from another department within the Yeditepe University, or from another University.
- Students of the Master's Program with Thesis, when they complete their thesis, they must make an appointment with the Social Sciences Institute Student Affairs to learn about the procedures for submission of their thesis and organization of their defense meeting. Students are required to submit a copy of their thesis to each of their thesis defense jury members at least one month before their thesis defense date.
- The student is obliged to enroll in the thesis course every semester (excluding the periods in which registration is suspended) until he/she is successful in their thesis defense.
- Registration suspension period can be two semesters at most for Master's with Thesis students and one semester at most for Non-Thesis Master's students.
- Non-thesis Master Program students can transfer to the Master’s Program with Thesis through a petition, if they wish so, and if they have completed the application requirements for that program.
- Minimum passing grade for a course is CC. For graduation the minimum cumulative grade point average required is 2.50/4.00. Grades lower than this require course repetition.
- In order to graduate the minimum ECTS credits completed must be 120 ECTS in the Master with Thesis Program and 90 ECTS in the Non-Thesis Master Program. In order to reach the minimum ECTS totals required at graduation, students who select a course from the "elective" line should not choose courses with lower ECTS values than those shown in their curriculum.
- The above information is based on the relevant official regulations for graduate education and is provided to assist you as a preliminary step. However, there may be complications or time issues, and rules may change. Therefore, you must always confirm any information regarding your status, your specific time limiations, rights and obligations and other details related to your degree program with the Student Affairs at the Social Sciences Institute. Similarly, you must confirm any information regarding your tuition and other financial details with the Yeditepe University Financial Affairs (02165780000 - 1253/1264/1276). The original documents of official regulations and directives for the graduate education can be obtained from the University website or from Student Affairs of the Institute of Social Sciences.