Management Information Systems is an interdisciplinary academic field which studies the effective implementation methods of contemporary information systems and technologies for solving the problems in business administration, through the combined use of manpower, technology and systems. Where and how businesses use technology are among the important indicators for measuring and increasing their efficiency and competitiveness. Computer hardware, software and networks have a prominent role in business information systems. Managers who are creative, able to follow the latest developments and with a specialization in this rapidly developing field must set their objectives to obtain the necessary technical and commercial skills for effective decision making. Tasks such as elaborating a work plan, actively using software program codes and data structures, organizing network and internet operations and ensuring their security can be undertaken by MIS specialists who will receive the necessary education in this academic program.
Management Information Systems focus on the information technologies and applications that are used for the business operations and transactions in an organization. They enable managers to take advantage of information processing systems for making more effective decisions. For this purpose, techniques such as decision support systems, expert systems and management related information processing methods are used. The most striking characteristic of the discipline is its particular focus on the decision making mechanism. MIS doesn't merely study the technological infrastructure or the social system in which this technological infrastructure will be applied; it also studies the events that will arise from their interaction. According to the data of a U.S. Department of Labor survey, it is expected that MIS specialists will have a higher than average chance to be selected for managerial job positions.
Our vision is to be a department which provides the upbringing of software development experts with an advanced level of knowledge and experience in management and computer science for fulfilling the requirements that arise from the innovations in information technologies, and with the capability of adapting software programs to the necessities of the businesses and sectors in which they are used. The main purpose of the MIS program is to educate experts who can analyze the needs and requirements of organizations and accordingly design and develop the most suitable information systems, while assuming leadership roles in project management and providing liaison between corporate executives and software programmers.
The Department of Management Information Systems aims to educate qualified and versatile business executive candidates with a high level of competency and knowledge in contemporary information technologies and software applications, as well as the innovations in applications regarding electronic commerce, supply chain management and expert systems. The Department provides its students an interdisciplinary curriculum covering the fields of computer science and business administration. The main goal of the Department is to provide the necessary education to business professionals who have career plans for assuming leadership roles in the analysis, design, development and administration of information systems and technologies.
Program Application Process, Terms and Conditions:
1) Prospective students can apply for our Graduate Programs by following the links "Academic" → "Graduate Programs" → "Graduate School of Social Sciences" → "About Us" → "General Information" → "Online Application" on the Yeditepe University website (www.yeditepe.edu.tr).
2) Following their application, prospective students will be invited for an interview in September (for the Fall Semester), January (for the Spring Semester), or June (for the Summer School). Students who are deemed successful during the interview and who have a valid English Proficiency Certificate can enrol in our Graduate Program and start taking their courses (Yeditepe University graduates are exempted from the English Proficiency Exam).
3) Prospective students who don't have a valid English Proficiency Certificate (YDS/YÖKDİL: 55, TOEFL: 66) are obliged to take the English Proficiency Exam, and those who pass this exam with sufficient points will be able to complete their enrolment and start taking their courses. Prospective students who fail to pass the English Proficiency Exam are required to complete the English Preparatory School courses before enrolling in the courses of the Graduate School.
4) Both the Graduate School courses and the English Preparatory School courses are offered at the evening hours on weekdays, or on weekends.
5) Candidates with an ALES (55) certificate can enrol in the Graduate Programs with Thesis. The maximum duration of study allowed by the Council of Higher Education (YÖK) in Turkey for a Master's Degree Program with Thesis is 6 semesters, with a normal course period of 4 semesters.
Candidates without an ALES certificate can enrol in the Graduate Programs without Thesis. The maximum duration of study allowed by the Council of Higher Education (YÖK) in Turkey for a Master's Degree Program without Thesis is 3 semesters.
6) The tuition fee of the Graduate Program in MIS for international students is 6,000 USD and covers 10 courses + graduation project in the Master's Degree Program without Thesis; or 7 courses + seminar + thesis in the Master's Degree Program with Thesis.
Up-to-date information regarding the Graduate Program in MIS can be obtained by following the links "Prospective Students" → "Fees" on the Yeditepe University website (www.yeditepe.edu.tr). The total amount of the tuition fee is divided in two instalments to be paid at the beginning of each semester (Fall and Spring semesters), and depending on the type of the credit card, can be further divided into a maximum amount of 7 instalments per payment for each semester.